✦ Plants ⇨ 8. Mustard seed (2) ✦
Mustard seed (2) Khardal (خردل ) means mustard. Its seed has been mentioned twice in the Quran:
1. And We shall set up balances of justice on the Day of Resurrection, then none will be dealt with unjustly in anything. And if there be the weight of a mustard seed, We will bring it. And Sufficient are We as Reckoners. [21:47]
2. O my son! If it be (anything) equal to the weight of a grain of mustard seed, and though it be in a rock, or in the heavens or in the earth, God will bring it forth. Verily, God is Subtle (in bringing out that grain), Well-Aware (of its place). [31:16]
- Mustard greens and mustard seeds are among the oldest known herbal remedies for a great number of health conditions. Originated from the Mediterranean areas, mustard and the herbs from Brassica family were quite popular in the Middle and Far East.
- In most modern kitchens, both mustard seeds and mustard greens are used for a variety of purposes: to spice up sandwiches, salads and other meals, to preserve pickles and so on.
- There are three most commonly used types of mustard seeds, including brown mustard (Brassica juncea), white mustard (Brassica alba) and black mustard (Brassica nigra), which are available in powdered from or as whole.
Mustard seeds are used for producing oil, which is known for its excellent warming properties and can be used for massages. In addition, mustard seeds have very high nutritional value, being a source of many important microelements and nutrients. One of the healthiest and the least caloric spices, mustard seeds are used in almost every world’s cuisines and are among the world’s most demanded spices, which is especially loved in India, Canada and the US.
- Mustard seed benefits include anti-cancer and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Being a great source of selenium and magnesium, mustard seeds can decrease inflammation and reduce the symptoms of such diseases as rheumatoid arthritis or asthma.
- The seeds also contain isothiocyanates, known for their anti-cancer effects.
- Other useful elements and nutrients which can be found in mustard seeds and mustard greens are calcium, iron, manganese, phosphorus, zinc, niacin, dietary fiber and very valuable omega 3 fatty acids, which can lower cholesterol levels and protect us from having heart disease.
- Nowadays this herbal remedy is valued also for its antifungal and antiseptic effects.
- Mustard products have been used also to speed up metabolism and this way to improve the function of digestive system.
- One of the most important health benefits of mustard seeds is being helpful in reducing the frequency of migraines.
- Mustard products and mustard oil have been effectively used for centuries for lowering high blood pressure and preventing atherosclerosis.
- Massaging your scalp with mustard oil will help you to substantially improve your hair quality and prevent hair loss.
- Another interesting property of mustard seeds and mustard green is stimulating salivation and improving appetite.
- Finally, mustard seeds are considered to be a great source of power and bioenergy, and mustard seeds products can also help you to improve your immunity and assist in fighting against insomnia, as well to treat such problems as anxiety, psychological disorders, the effects of stresses and depression, bronchitis, sexual dysfunctions, the symptoms of menopause, and many others.
Source of Benefit: http://guide2herbalremedies.com/health-benefits-mustard-seeds/
1,689 total views, 1 views today